Saturday, February 12, 2011

Boss Line

Boss Line: "You love her, like I love Sula. I just don't like her. Thats the difference." (57)
This line, is said by Hannah, Sula's mother when she is having a conversation with two of her friends. To me this is a boss line because it shows how relationships between adults and their children where back then. This also shows how Sula was somewhat neglected as a child. To make matters worse, while her mother is saying this, Sula is actually within hearing distance and overhears it. I'm sure that it was like a punch in the gut to Sula to know that her mother only really loves her because she is her daughter and its almost a priority.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that it is a Boss Line and was at the very minimum a punch in the gut for Sula to hear. The thing that I am wondering though is if it had any effect on Sula killing Chicken Little? Was she taking her anger out on him or something along those lines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote too and also think it's a good boss line. To respond to what Ben said, I don't think it had anything to do with Sula killing Chicken Little. I really don't think she meant to do that. What I think this line did lead up to though, was the scene with the "grave" for all the trash. I think that's where Sula let out her anger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this quote also and along with Lauren, I don't think that this is referring to the death of Chicken Little. Somehow I think this quote also reflects Hannah's very "fast" nature and how it seems she only takes care of her daughter because she has to, not because it's in her nature, if that's not confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, looking at it after reading till page 125, it seems as if all the relationships in this book are messed up. Eva and Sula, Sula and Nel now that she stole her husband, and Nel and Jude. I honestly think that Sula doesn't care about anyone, she just thinks of herself before others. The relationships in this book are just messed up. But this is a very true boss line. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete